Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Week 2

Access - This week there was a section on access to your library. It reminded me of the discussion in my summer library course where the idea was to open the library up for more access, not only for in person but online as well.

It made me think of how I started and the control freak I was in the library with the books and returns and who was helping how and doing what.... This would be because I was so green and had no idea about how to operate a library. As I learned I moved on, grew, opened up more and more in the library as I felt I could release. I am now at the point where the students run the check outs, shelve books, help with processing, stickers, labels, stamping, weeding..... I've learned how to become a manager in the library with great control. Teaching the students how to run the library with giving them lots of access and ownership. I have backed off on how many books get taken out and for how long as well. I have grown a lot over the past few years!

This week had a good read on how libraries need a revolution from the school library journal, looking to the future and having 24/7 access.

This week also had a nice webpage with all the library terms in an online library dictionary. It is a useful tool that I have put into the links bar for future use. There was some discussion with acquisition, organization, and circulation. These are all terms that come up in my daily life, so I am confident in them, however, with each course I take, I take home more and more. Each course had a different take on these terms that all apply to the job. So I am looking forward to what I learn from these topics in this course.

No comments:

Post a Comment