Monday, April 2, 2012

Assignment #1 - Reflection of my Learning in LIBE 465

Reflection of my Learning


As I am now completing last assignment for my last course in the UBC library diploma, it is fitting that this assignment is a reflective one. Looking back where I was when I had been a teacher-librarian for close to two years, then fast forward three more years of work experience and 10 classes from UBC I feel like I am a far better teacher-librarian. I feel my lessons are much stronger. The lessons have more relevance and educational value. The organization of the library has drastically improved. I also feel that I am on the cutting edge of our industry and amongst the teacher-librarians I work with, I feel as though I am one of the more advanced in regards to the latest trends, issues, and use of technology.

With most of the courses I took with the UBC library diploma I often felt I did not have much more learn. I believe this is because I ended up not taking the classes ‘in order’. I took many of the electives first because of what was available. I ended up taking the core component classes in the end of my 10 classes. With each of the elective classes I felt I learned a couple things, but nothing that was major. Often it was lesson ideas. This created the situation where I started to expect the same for all the UBC classes. However, with each of the core component classes I feel like I was becoming a much better teacher-librarian by the end of the course. The core component classes all gave me something I could really use to change my library and I feel very grateful for having learned these things.

For LIBE 456 I had that same opinion entering the course. However, I do feel like I am leaving the course with some valuable lessons. The two most important pieces I feel I am leaving with are related to the two projects we handed in.

MARC Project
I know I did not do that great on this assignment, as there were not enough actual MARCs done by me. But the lesson learned from this project and the lessons #5-7 leading up to this assignment were very valuable to me. Right before these lessons one of the head librarians in the district sent an email on our discussion site asking if anyone wanted the Sears book she had. Someone grabbed it right away. I did not know what this book was about. With taking part in these lessons, asking questions with some colleges I learned about the book and about the MARC process. These few weeks also introduced me to the CIP part of the book. I have always seen these in the books and never knew why they were there. I only ever looked at the publication date.

This project turned into a very useful tool for me for a couple of reasons. I designed it for full use for my primary staff members. I have showed it to them and linked it into my library blog so when they study community helpers all the information on this topic will be there for them. It is in a format of a webpage, so I can change it as my materials change.

Finally, this project made me learn how to create a webpage. I found this to be a very important learning skill for me. I feel as though I could create for any topics in the future and I have already shared my knowledge with some staff members.

Things to Change in my Library Project
When I started this project, I felt as though I had done enough library changes. This is because I had recently finished such big projects in the library. However, after I completed this assignment I was so satisfied as I now had a plan for my library for the next couple of years. This project gave me life for my library! I have already started working on a number of the changes I said I would do in this project. I feel I cannot sit idle in my library and I’m always looking to change and improve it. I love making changes in the library and seeing the response from the users.

Postings
Throughout this entire course I have been making contributions with the postings online. I met all of the course requirements. I would read most of what was posted from other students and would take away some of their ideas. One example was with the Dewey lessons. Someone had posted making posters for each section. It was such a simple project that I cannot believe I had over looked it. I am starting some of those this week. Because of my experience in the library I would tend to read the postings and take what I could use. Mostly I was responding in discussion to what others had posted on my comments. I feel as though I have lots to offer and I think many saw that with what I shared with them. However, it is not in my personality so be constantly posting in discussion with strangers and ‘suggesting’ ways for them doing something better. If they want to ask them I’m more then happy to help.

Reflection
Reflection is important to me, as you have seen from each of my two projects. With this assignment you can see I was also reflecting as the lessons were being completed.  Each of the lessons has a posting of what I did that lesson and what I learned. I plan to keep this blog so I can continue to reference it (along with my two projects from this course for future use). Many of the items I learned from this course were put into my lessons right away or onto my library blog. Sharing things like Delicious.com with colleges and putting it into my blog. Using fun things like the Dewey Rap to introduce Dewey talks with my students. Some of my reflections discuss how much better I understand the behind the scenes part of being a librarian. Dealing with buying software and MARCs. Stuff my head librarians to. I have a great understanding for their jobs now. My weekly summaries are not perfect, there will be spelling and grammar errors, but what I have learned in this course is all in those postings. I also created a list of important links from the course or from people’s postings that I like and I will continue to use as I move forward in my career.

Conclusion and Where to Go From Here
Reflection is important, but it is only good if it prompt you to move forward. With holding onto what I have learned from this class via blogs and webpages I feel I will be able to use this information for the next couple of years. Having all this information in electronic form is a bonus as the information will always be there. The core components in the UBC diploma have given me these skills and ideas to move forward. I have a few courses with online blogs that I can use to help guide me in the future. The most important part is now that I am done, do not sit back and fall behind. Now that I have time, next year I am planning to join my district’s teacher association to help me stay in contact with others in the field and to help me continue to learn. 




No comments:

Post a Comment