Sunday, February 26, 2012

Lesson 11

I agree with the lesson when talking about the OPAC. The function are:

Identify - to show what is in the library
Locate - to describe an item and say where to find it
Collocate - and put similar groupings together when needed

My school uses the Follett Destiny system, so much of this lesson is review for me, as it mentions in this lesson posting. I do like using Follett. I used another system in Delta when I was a TOC there, can't recall it, but I feel Destiny was much better. And Delta did switch to Destiny shortly after I started there. I find Destiny to be very user friendly. It is easy to teach to the users. Kids in grade 1/2 classes can use it for the basics and TLs can use it to the max with power searching. I find Destiny to be visually appealing. Easy to read the information that is needed and the tabs are there for more info, MARCs or Catalogue/Circulation etc.

In this week's lesson, I have to comment that I am very happy I don't have to deal with the setting up the webpage and talking to Follett when when have issues or need up grades or when we renew Titlepeak. From talking to some private school TLs they have to do all of this on their own. That could be a daunting task with the support network you have when you are part of a district. I have heard it is thousands of dollars to buy these programs and then to pay for upgrades each year or services such at Titlepeak. The first year our district had Titlepeak, each school had to pay for it as only about half wanted it. We paid about $200 each I recall. Times that by 20 schools. Now the district pays for the whole district to get Titlepeak each year.

As it is right now, our district gives us the high level for access. I can create stats, delete/edit books, do inventory, weed etc etc. There is a lot of freedom of use. We have a TOC password for then they come in that limits them for usage and then there is the basic level for users trying to search the system.

In looking at textbook circulation my school does not practice this. I do not believe this is part of the TLs job and I'm happy we do not do this. Most libraries do not have the space to store the entire school's textbooks, so it is easier that they stay with the teachers. In some subject areas, the classes have to share textbooks, so if we were using the checkout system, this would mean they have to sign in and out each time they moved the science books from one gr 6/7 to the other 6/7 class.

For circulation I allow my students to do the check out. From gr 1-7. I train many of them from grade 3-5, so by grade 6/7 I just pick 2 people that day and they know what to do. It is seen as a treat/reward for them, something they want to do and I'm happy for this. For the gr 1/2 class I only train a couple of them, they know what to do. For the gr 2/3 and 3/4 classes I only train a small group, maybe 8 in the class, the ones I know that can do it. Then the other kids like this, really want to do it, so by the time they are gr 4/5 they are eager to learn about the check out and about the Dewey system. The gr 4/5 class collects all the books in the morning and I scan them in, then they shelve them. I pick 8-10 kids per term and split of the days of the week, so the kids all get a chance. Plus they are learning the computer at this time too. It is a way to teach them about Dewey without using boring workbooks. They don't even know they are learning.

I posted about how I really like Destiny and I do think it is a good system. My only complaints were about spelling. Meaning, if you spell it wrong, Destiny won't pick it up. I teach my students from gr 1-7 about searching each year. So the only issues I ever have are students asking me how to spell something for their search or they say the book doesn't exist but they have seen it, meaning they spelt it wrong. Then I remind them of that. They are usually the younger kids. But I am always able to help them as I have set-up the circulation desk with kids that know how to do a check out, so I can help the searchers as there are no other teachers in the class with me (prep time).

I also like how we can use Destiny from anywhere in the world. I used to have teachers emailing me on the weekends. They were looking for books in the library or the district. No matter how many times I told them the address then never would remember, but they still liked to search on the weekends. So when I set up my library blog I put a link to the destiny page for our school and our district. Now the teachers only have to remember the school name, then the blog appears, then they can do their searching.

No comments:

Post a Comment