Monday, January 30, 2012

Lesson 7

This lesson I learned all about Cataloguing in Publication (CIP). We learned how we can import the MARC information from other sites for when we have to do the cataloguing. It was an eye opening experience as we had to compare 3 books, look at their CIP on the inside cover and then compare this information to a MARC on the Canadian site AMICUS or with the American site the Library Congress.

I selected a few of my favourite books....

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
Tuesday
Steal Back the Mona Lisa

What I found was interesting. I learned that both Meatballs and Tuesday had a CIP in the book that was taken right from the Library Congress. This is interesting as I have never once looked at this information before in a book. So I am much more aware of a book's background information. Almost as if I am admitted to a secret club with this knowledge as most regular readers wouldn't know (or maybe care) to look at this info. Mona Lisa did not have a CIP in the book at all. This was a learning experience because I realized that when a book does not have this information in it the head librarians in my district will have a much harder job to do when they are cataloguing. Learning this information makes me have a greater understanding of how hard the head librarians' jobs in my district can be.

This lesson also had me learn about the Library Congress and AMICUS. They are 2 new spots I can go for information on MARCs. I signed up to be a member of AMICUS.

No comments:

Post a Comment